Saturday 12 March 2016

Toastmaster Ice-Breaker -- Who I am, seen through quotes by Einstein


This year it is 100 years since Albert Einstein changed the world by postulating his theory of General Relativity…. and even if you never have to think about it……it affects you daily…. specially, of course if ever you use your GPS device and you do not want to get lost …time dilation, a direct consequence of Einstein’s theory must be taken into account when you calculate your position with the accuracy you are so used to

.... and even if I can never aspire to reach an understanding of life the universe and everything… that comes even close to that of Mr. Einstein…by the way; the answer may according to some sources be 42…parts of who I am can still be understood on the basis of some of his more famous quotes. So here goes…

I have always been very curious...as a kid I used to drive both teachers and my parents nuts with all my questions…some say it is a miracle that any curiosity ever survives formal education but some reason mine is as strong now as once it was

For me it is funny and slightly disturbing how some people see me as smart when I see myself as nothing but….I have no particular talent….guess the best you can say is that I am passionately  curious….I do not know a lot about anything, I am not an expert…..I am but a novice journeyman  and all that can be said is maybe that I know a little something about a lot of things.... paradoxically thou……I realize that the more I learn…. the more I realize how little I really know.

However, as much as I love to learn I also thirst for stopping to smell the roses…to really live at times you just have to stop…  take a pause… to wonder at the nature we have so closely around us…to stand rapt in awe and to drink it all in…

In a way I am also a pacifist, a militant pacifist at that….. willing to fight for peace…. knowing in my heart the fight for peace is not won in battle and cannot be kept by force….. knowing in my heart that peace can only be achieved by understanding….. understanding not only who we are but also our enemies….understanding not only our strengths but also the frailty of our minds, our biases, and our weaknesses….by realizing that the world is a dangerous place to live: not because some people are evil but because of the people who are willing to stand by and let evil has its way…….realizing that we cannot solve our problems using the same thinking we used when creating them…realizing we need to find new ways of thinking


I can only hope you got a glance of who I am…who I was… and who I am trying to become…a man of value rather than a man of success…and on that realize, just like Einstein, that any man who can drive a car while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves

No comments: